Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Getting Back into the Zone

Hi Everyone:

Recently I've been working hard on two manuscripts.  Monday I woke up and told myself that I just could not do any more work.  In the past I would have gotten hard on myself for not keeping my nose to the grindstone.  I would have told myself that even though I completed the next step on one project, that I would need to immediately jump to the other one.  No more.


Learning to pull back has been hard for me.  I've always wanted to get things done on the first try.  Redoing things was not my style.  Now I can say that I can take my manuscripts and rip them apart, even if it requires me to rewrite large portions of it.  I'm not afraid anymore.  The important thing is that I get it done the way that I want it to be, even if it takes more time than I would like it to.


My main character in Enlightened Desire is like the old me.  They do not like change and would rather try to fix something rather than scrap it, even if they are spinning their tires.  I have found that this is a complete waste of energy and time.   This was not an easy thing to do and did not like it when I had to take a time out.  I felt like a failure when I was forced to end a project, particularly if the project meant a lot to me.  

Things are different now.  I am able to pull myself out of a situation and not feel guilty.  Monday I did just that and treated myself to some taped TV.  I watched a marathon of the hit show Survivor.  This was the perfect show for me because the show takes place in beautiful exotic places.  I was able to go into another world that did not include a computer.  During this time I was able to let go of any worries about my work.  Later on I felt like a refreshed woman.

I have a trusted friend who shared with me the importance of taking time outs when we are finding ourselves out of the zone.  I now understand where they were coming from.  Also I realize that sometimes this process can take days.  Instead of fretting I can now embrace it for what it is.  Answers many times come when the mind is relaxed.

What do you like to do when you find yourself out of the zone?

Lynn







No comments:

Post a Comment