Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Meet Vanessa A. Ryan

Good morning.  Today I have a special guest, Vanessa A. Ryan, who will be discussing her book, A Blue Moon.






"...we didn’t kill him. 
We just disposed of his body. 
I don’t know what to make of it either..."






What is your story about?
A Blue Moon is a humorous horror story of a Halloween night gone terribly awry. Lorrie Duncan, an abstract painter working as a substitute teacher, dreams of making it big in the art world when she’s not busy looking for Mr. Right. She seems on the verge of getting what she wants, at least with respect to her career, because her current boyfriend Marty is a rising star in the L.A. art scene. But when a fortune teller gives her a medallion with malevolent powers, her life and plans fall apart. Now to survive, she finds herself in a race to discover its secret, before it destroys everything she holds dear.

What traits were you looking for when you were creating the main character for this story?
A woman who has visions of grandeur and doesn't quite fit in with her surroundings.

Did you do any type of writing while you were in school?
I wrote short stories and in middle school I wrote for the school newspaper. I didn't consider writing as a profession until I was an adult.

Was there anyone, in your life who was an inspiration for you to write?
I read all the Nancy Drew books when I was a kid and always wished my life could be solving mysteries. As an adult, I read the classic mysteries, such as those by Agatha Christie, Raymond Chandler, and others and that inspired to write. I met Ray Bradbury once while I was writing A Blue Moon and he told me to send him my eighth copy, because the first seven were for reviewers and family. I didn't get to send him a copy, but it was an inspiration to me.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
I always strive to write about things that are unusual and unpredictable. I like to mix things up, so that the end is not predictable. I always figure out the ending of a story before I write it. Then I figure out how to begin the story.

What do you like to do when you are not writing?
I play with my cats, walk in nature, and I paint and sculpt. I'm also an actor, so I go on auditions and I have my favorite shows I watch. I haven't had time for reading lately, because I'm so busy writing.

What has been your favorite part of being an author?
My favorite part is creating a world that exits only on paper and yet it becomes very real.

The least fave?
Writing the first draft. I would much rather rewrite than write. Sometimes I outline, or put notes on cards, or I will think of the story, chapter by chapter in my head. 

What has been the strangest thing a reader has asked you?
No one has asked me anything strange.

What is in the works next for you, or is it a secret?
I just finished a vampire novel, so I'm shopping that around. I had a few publishers who wanted it, but I didn't feel they were the right ones. I also finished a mystery––an amateur detective story and I am currently writing the second book in that series. The first book is under consideration by a publisher. I should find out if they want to acquire it by January.  Below is a synopsis from the book:


HORROR AT THE LAKE 

A young woman's quest brings danger and death to those close to her––and something worse. Susan Runcan wants to clear the name of her famous archeologist grandfather Lindon Runcan, who died fifteen years earlier. Although Lindon claimed thieves stole the ancient artifacts from his last expedition in Egypt, depriving the Egyptian government and his backers of the spoils, Lindon stole them himself. Susan inherits these artifacts from her uncle, including a mysterious gold medallion, as well as her grandfather's stately home in the town of Lake Masley. When Susan comes to the lake hoping to learn the reason her grandfather risked his career for these artifacts, she finds a town gripped with fear and ruled by rumors. And what she discovers will change her life forever.


I want to thank Vanessa for stopping by today.  Check out her links below:



      Vanessa's Blog



      Vanessa's imdb page











Last but not least, here is an excerpt from A Blue Moon:

Madam Grace leaned back in annoyance. “Give me your watch,” she said.
Finding this alarming, I hesitated, wondering if she was going to steal it. But I gave it to her.
She held it to her cheek and closed her eyes. She said, “You are in a state of––how you say?—dull, mediocre. But that will not last. You––” 
The doorbell rang and she got up. “Excuse me,” she said. “I must get that. Make yourself comfortable until I return.” Seeing my dismay, she smiled. “Don’t worry. I won’t be long.”
After she left, I peered out the window. A young, sallow complexioned man with dark hair stood on the porch.
I heard Grace speak loudly to him in a language I didn’t recognize. He answered her in that same language. Something about their conversation—not to mention the heat in the room—and the fact that she still had my watch––made me uneasy. It wasn’t because I thought she was after my money or that he might be in on it. That was a given. No, it was something I couldn’t put my finger on. I knew I should have run out then, watch or not, but moments later the woman came back, and it was too late.
“I am sorry you have been waiting.”
“No problem.”
She sat down, closed her eyes, and again pressed my watch to her cheek. Then she opened her eyes and gave me back my watch. Taking a deep breath, she said, “I see that your boyfriend is crude––not civilized.”
“That’s him, all right.”
“He has strange habits. Why do you put up with him? Why don’t you find someone better?”
I sighed. “I don’t know. I’m lonely. I can’t seem to find anyone else. I guess I like having him around and he said he would help me with my career. I like him, though he’s not what you’d call a good catch in the normal sense. What else do you see? Will I marry him? Will he help me with my career?”
“I see that you don’t really know men. You let them treat you like dirt.” She looked down at the cards. “It is because you never knew your father.”
Maybe she was psychic. “That’s true. My father died when I was a kid.”
“Beware. I see danger around you. There is a plot against you. For another fifty dollars, I will pray for you at the church in the mountains. Only I can break this dangerous spell.”
I knew I should have known better. But I was determined to get my money’s worth. “Well, I have only the fifty for the reading. What about my career? I’m an artist. Is my boyfriend going to help me with my career? He has a lot of connections.”
She gave me an annoyed look. “Just keep painting, or whatever it is you do.”
Abruptly, she got up and went to the cardboard box. She took the lid off, reached in and pulled out a small blue velvet pouch. “I’m going to give you something to help you. It’s something I wouldn’t give to just anyone. It will bring you good luck. It is a medallion to wear around your neck.”
She took a necklace out of the box and held it up so I could see it. The medallion was large and irregular in shape. It looked cheap. Fake gold, most likely, and not worth more than a few dollars. The inscription on it was in some ancient language, probably Arabic. The chain, made of the same cheap gold, was much too long for it. It would probably hang down below my waist.
“Here, take it. Put it on.” She dangled it before me. Then she looked away as if she hated to part with it.
“Oh, I couldn’t take this,” I said. “It looks too expensive. I can’t afford to buy it from you either.”
“Please. I want you to have it. For your safety. There is a terrible plot against you." She held the medallion close to my face. "But if you wear it,” she continued, “you will have nothing but good luck from now on.”
She pressed the medallion into my hand. “Tomorrow night is the blue moon. If you put this on now, your good luck will begin with the blue moon. Take it. It’s your only chance. Since you don’t have the money for me to pray to the church in the mountains, take it. For free. I am only trying to help you.”
She was just trying to get me to pay her more money for the reading. She didn’t believe in this medallion anymore than I did. She was a fake, even if she did seem to pick up on Marty and on my father. But what the hell? It was part of the deal and she was so insistent. I put on the necklace. Then I paid her the fifty bucks and got out of there. She wasn’t going to get any more out of me, if I could help it.



Before you go come check out my webpage and like me on Facebook:

Lynn Lawler's Website

Lynn Lawler's Facebook page

Enlightened Desire book trailer


Printed with Permission







No comments:

Post a Comment