Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Meet Stacey Darlington

Hello everyone!  I hope you all are having a wonderful holiday season.  I know I ate too much on Christmas Eve, but isn't that part of the fun?  Other than that all is good.  Today I have Stacey Darlington as she discusses her novels, including her latest, Winter on Spring Street.  Let's give her a warm welcome.
















What is your story about?
I have a few books out right now, but I would like to promote my latest release, Winter on Spring StreetIt is about a former singing superstar, Raven Viramonte… Raven returns to Spring Street Connecticut to read her dying mother’s will but her homecoming turns into a psychological digression into her troubled past dealing with the issues of love verses lust and a magical spell gone awry. I enjoy studying psychology and magic so you will find both subjects in this book.


What traits were you looking for when you were creating the main character for this story?
I generally create flawed women who are in need of some spiritual/emotional remedy. Characters we can all relate to and cheer on. I enjoy crafting their journey to sobriety, love and/or mental health…Probably a bit cathartic for me, as well.


Did you do any types of writing while you were in school.  If so did you receive any awards or recognition for your work?
I was a master story-teller when I was young. I used to make up wild tales to tell my parents so I wouldn’t have to go to bed. I was at the top of my class with an extremely high IQ. I was reading college material in fourth grade. I won every spelling bee I entered. I was a total book worm. Yes, I won tons of awards. 


Was there anyone, in your life who was an inspiration for you to write.   If so what did they do?
Every single person I see, meet or peripherally observe inspires me. From something as simple as a mannerism to a quirky trait.  I sometimes use people in my life as the “bones” of characters I later flesh out.  So watch out if you piss me off, you might end up being a monster in my next book! J


Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?  
I would like to thank anyone who has sat down and read my work. That is a true gift to me. I write for their pleasure, to inspire them, to heal them, to make them laugh. It pleases me to please them.     


Can you elaborate on what has worked for you?
I have been contacted by a large number of people who have read my book, Long Snows Moon that the book came to them at the right time in their lives to either help them through a transition or to give them the strength to make a decision about their life’s path. Very powerful and spiritual for me!




Read Stacey's amazing review on Long Snows Moon:



Watch her book trailer for Long Snows Moon:





What do you like to do when you are not writing?
I have an upholstery business, and I also design furniture. I used to have a rock band but I traded my guitar for a bass. I love playing slap/funk, it’s so primal. I am madly in love with my husky/Shepard and hang out with her as much as possible. I am an avid reader. I do totem readings and guided meditations that allow people to meet their totem animals. I love educating my friends about spirituality. I am dying to go whitewater rafting.


What type of music do you like to listen to when you are writing?
No music. I like the quiet.


What has been your favorite part of being an author? 
Attaining my goal/dream. Touching my readers with my work.
The least fave?
Self-promo! I hate it.


Where would you go for your dream vacation?
Well, I love South America and am going next year.

Would you ever use that location as the main location in a future story?
Yes, I have a story outlined set in Colombia titled, Nine Fish.


If one of your books was made into a movie, who would you like to cast for the main and supporting roles of your characters?
Kate Winslet for Raven Viramonte and Amy Lee (from Evanescence) for Winter Stevens, Morgan Freeman for Harry.


What is in the works next for you?  If you can’t share, I totally understand and respect this.
Putting out a second edition of my middle grade, Athena’s Curse and a new gothic/witchy book, The Elemental Sister.






Here is an excerpt from  Winter on Spring Street......

I was born on the winter solstice, the witch’s Sabbat, otherwise known as Yule. I was a feet first, breech birth, determined to exit the host body as quickly as possible. I still imagine my mother’s screams of agony/joy as I exited her. Perhaps they were my own shouts of liberation, at last released from the bondage of her womb. Physically, at least.
They tell me I had a shock of red hair and a quick temper even then. My mother wanted to name me Maris; my father liked Victoria. My grandmother insisted on Raven, so I became Raven Maris Viramonte. To keep the peace, they mostly called me Red.
I wasn’t supposed to be born a witch, or to have magical powers for that matter. That honor was reserved for the first born female of the first born female for as far back as our family line could be traced.  I was not born to be a witch, but I was born a bitch. That’s what a mother’s hate can do for you. You see, the magic was not my own, it was not natural to me, perhaps that’s why I never chose to really develop it, or maybe I was just too lazy. 





I want to thank Stacey for coming in to chat today.  I look forward to seeing you next week when Angela Peach will be in to discuss her novel, 47as well as her other work.  Take care!



Before you go check out Stacey's links.
















And come check out my webpage and like me on Facebook:




Happy New Year 2014!!!


Printed With Permission




No comments:

Post a Comment