Tuesday, July 15, 2014

What is your passion?

Hello and a warm welcome to you all.  When I was young believe it or not I had a dream of being an astronaut.  Mind you I was only eight years old at the time.  That's what I thought I wanted.  

As a very creative youngster, I loved to draw and build things.  One year in school, I took a woodworking class where I was able to make a step stool and a small scale bi-plane for my family.   I enjoyed every moment of the hard work and through it I shined.  Later on, my folks gave me a chalk pencil set with which I sketched drawings of scenic pictures from my dad's magazine called Arizona Highway's. That was so fun.





As a youth, I was an avid reader.  In my teens I read both young adult books and some of my dad's books, especially Mary Higgins Clark.  I really loved how MHC created her characters.  They were all really strong and intelligent women.  Reading her stories boosted my self esteem as a young woman.  At that time I was experiencing a stage of self doubt.  I struggled to fit in and often felt left out in the cold.  Her books showed me that women are strong and make things happen when action is applied.  


Feeling sheltered, I wanted to broaden my horizons. I had always dreamt of living in Arizona, but could not afford to go there.   I elected to abandon my creative side to strictly study business.  Having a business degree meant more options for a good paying job.  This way I could make my dream a reality. 

Finally, a few years after I graduated from college, I moved to Arizona.  I needed a new beginning, so I decided not to pursue an 8 to 5 job there.  Instead I met up with a gentleman who was a wholesaler and began to work for him.  He set up his shop in an outdoor market each weekend and sold his merchandise.  I was put in charge of one of his booths.  My duties included setting up, breaking down, and making sales.  I found freedom out there as I was trusted and not micromanaged.  I loved being out in the hot sun and speaking to people.  It was no surprise that I made a lot of sales.  

At the same time, I was involved with a member owned Co-op in Tempe, Arizona.  I started out as a volunteer worker, working one day a week in one of the departments.  I am really grateful that this organization had that program as it got me in touch with my inner self in a short period of time.  They soon hired me full time.  

I left my sales job at the outdoor market to pursue this new opportunity.  I loved working at the co-op because it taught me to appreciate the small things in life and not take other things for granted.  Most of the employees there were into healthy lifestyles, which rubbed off on me in a big way.  I became vegan and learned about the health benefits of juicing.  My boss was so cool that he allowed me to develop a juicing service right there in the store.  Again, I was trusted and empowered.  I was granted authority to hire member volunteers to assist me.  

In addition to juicing,  I took an interest in sprouting.  I was was thrilled when my boss said that I could set up a display in the produce department.  There I educated customers and members about the health benefits of sprouting.   This created more business and increased traffic in the store.  It gave me a good feeling to know that my efforts were inspired others.






During this time I expanded my spirituality.  In Arizona I learned about meditation and what wonders it does.  I met other like minded people and attended meditation groups.  I tried yoga, but could not get the gist of it.  I admire those who do and I'd love your story.  

Later on I returned to the business world to pursue another field.  Although it offered some creative aspects, it was not enough.  I was craving creativity and had writing in the back of my mind.  I just didn't know how to get the ball rolling.   I kept debating about this until one night when I watched a documentary on the twentieth century writer, Willa Cather.  This gave me the push I needed.

Very quickly I dove into my work.  I found the words flowed very easily and before I knew it, I had an outline.  I continued to write.  I have found writing to be much more uplifting than my other two career attempts.  This time I am not going to push this project into a desk drawer and forget about it whenever I encounter writer's block.  





I have never turned back.  This is what I want to do, complete with blogging, reading, reviewing, and interviewing other authors.  I find this work fulfilling and soulful.  I enjoy working with other authors because it gives me an insight about them.  

I love featuring authors on my blog, and have met some incredible people.  Their stories inspire me in special ways.   Two of these authors are Suzie Carr and Kathleen Knowles.  Suzie Carr's book, "The Muse," deals with bullying.  I feel a connection to this character because I had a similar experience.  

Kathleen Knowles book, "Awake Unto Me," is a rich story that gives hope to the reader that their dreams can come true no matter what the exterior circumstances are.  

Writing is my passion and I can't imagine my life any other way.  With computers and other technology, I can take my manuscript and my blog when I'm on the go.  No longer do I even need a jump drive, not with Dropbox being so easy to use.  I have two other projects that I'm working on, one of which is almost ready for the editor.  Things are definitely moving along.

So how about you?  What is your driving passion?


Until Next time!

Lynn

Before you go take a look at my links:









No comments:

Post a Comment