Friday, September 5, 2014

Meet D.K. Linda


Good morning to you all and a warm welcome.  Today I have a special guest on the blog, D.K. Linda, author of the hot selling f/f romance, "My Happy Ever After".  For those of you who are new, I wrote a review for this book on 8-Aug-14, which can be viewed here in the posts.  





“She, with one look, one gesture, and one idea could send me into a raging storm where I reel against the tides.”  



What is your story about?

"My Happy Ever After" is about two women, Talia and Michele, who realize that they have an immediate and strong connection with each other. After meeting in a bookstore, Talia and Michele are caught up in a whirlwind romance that moves quickly and passionately in the days ahead.  Soon, their feelings turn to love and this love continues to grow throughout their short time together, until one night when a devastating tragedy changes things forever. 
           



What or who inspired you to write "My Happy Ever After"?
  
 The story was inspired from the grief scene I wrote where Talia breaks down in the shower.  However, I was also inspired by my mother who lost her husband in the blink of an eye and her whole world changed overnight, yet - over time - she found a way to get out of bed, to continue to breathe and function.  I saw her strength and grace and it inspired me.




What traits were you looking for when you were creating the main character in this story?

 I wanted the characters to convey humanity - in other words, to be real and believable. I wanted their devotion to one another to shine through. I really wanted the readers to feel their honesty and sincerity.



Did you do any types of writing while you were in school.  If so, did you receive any awards or recognition for your work?

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/e/gtalk.328 I have always written in some form or another, mostly poetry, early on. I have always been a dreamer - expressing my thoughts imaginatively and creatively.  I have also  enjoyed acting, drawing, and exploring different worlds and stories.   I found something I wrote long ago that asked what I wanted to be when I grew up.  My answers were:  An actor, a writer and Happy!  No,  I haven’t received any awards or recognition for my writing, YET! 



 Was there anyone, in your life who was an inspiration for you to write.   If so, what did they do?    

No one person or thing in particular.  I draw on everything and anything to inspire me.  I have a very imaginative and creative mind and as I said above, I needed an outlet for it.




Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?  Can you elaborate on what has worked for you?

     I am sincerely thankful to the readers, whom I truly appreciate!  They are everything!  I would love to thank everyone from the bottom of my most grateful heart for reading my work.   Id like to quote Talia, if I may, on the 2nd part of the question, when she said that she had to, “stop being a defensive, defeating passenger to what life was offering.”   I decided one day to write, to do something I loved, without allowing doubt to control my fate… just write!  Also, it never occurred to me to write lesbian fiction, I wasn’t very familiar with the genre.  When I decided to write something familiar to me, I found it flowed better. Like in life, when you’re honest and sincere and true to who you are, it works better. 



What do you like to do when you are not writing? 

Usually wondering why I’m being lackadaisical and not writing. For fun, I like to play online, primarily on Facebook and Twitter. I love video games, I try to limit my game playing time, but I will take down some dragons in Skyrim every so often. I love and watch a lot of movies. I listen to a great deal of music and watch way too much TV. And of course, reading! Love digging into a good book.  However, my favorite thing to do, that fills my heart and soul, is spending time with my friends and family and of course, my cat.



Me:  I totally get the cat thing as we have cats too.  They are such angels.





What type of music do you like to listen to when you are writing? 

Everything! You can find most of my faves on my playlists @spotify.   For MHEA, I was listening to groups like Two Door Cinema Club, Empire of the Sun, The Naked and the Famous, Muse, Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr., Metric, etc.  Again, you can find tracks and full lists for my books as well as other playlists on Spotify.   For this latest book, I’ve been listening to Roddy Hart & The Lonesome Fire, Jem, Usher, Sia, Coldplay, Icona Pop, Midnight Red, The Wanted, etc. 





What has been your favorite part of being an author?  The least fave? 

Favorite part has to be that moment when I published my thoughts for the world to see and people from all over the world read them! I can’t describe what that feels like, other than absolutely wonderful and magical. Also, I’ve made some lovely friends and heard people's incredible stories. I am beyond grateful that MHEA was inspirational in any way to anyone.

My least fave: Well, before I hit publish, I had no idea what I was in for or frankly what I was doing. I’ve been extremely fortunate, I’ve met and been helped by some amazing, generous, wonderful authors and editors along the way. To add, I am pretty introverted and can be a bit awkward, talking to people can be quite daunting. It’s not an easy thing for me to reach out and be as sociable as I’d like. However, talking about something I feel passionate about, with wonderful people and most of the people that I’ve met and spoken to have been so nice and lovely, makes it somewhat easier.


  

What has been the strangest thing a reader has asked you?  

  
I was asked to rewrite the story so that it had a different outcome.


Where would you go for your dream vacation?  Would you ever use that location as the main location in a future story?   

Oh, so many places… so many!  I think I’d like to see New Zealand and Australia.   Sure, I’d use those locations, if the story warranted it.



What is in the works next for you?  If you can’t share, I totally understand and respect this.

When MHEA was being edited, back in early Dec. 2013, I started writing a murder mystery. Although I finished the rough draft back in early January, I wasn’t content with the ending. I put it on the back burner for a long while and wrote a few other things. Recently, I went back to it and am working on it as we speak.  


My 2nd Novella is called, "The Devil Within" and it’s about a local reporter who feels unnoticed and unappreciated in her career and personal life. She dreams of 'the big time' and when people start dying *suspiciously* in her town, she feels it's her chance to get noticed. I’m so excited about it and can't wait for everyone to read it! 



The book to follow - my 3rd Novella - is about a Gamer Girl who falls in love with a spy, who just happens to be a character in a video game. One day when she reluctantly leaves the house to take care of an emergency, she runs into the video game character's Doppelgänger during an actual operation. This 'real' spy, finds that she needs the Gamer Girls help to carry out a mission, and through this experience and adventure together, they fall in love.


Me:  Wow.  You have quite a story here!  I'm actually a gamer, so I know that I'm going to enjoy this last one.  This one you definitely have to keep us in the loop on.  I have other author friends who are gamers who are going to love this story too!  

  
How did you feel as you were writing  "My Happy Ever After"?

   I loved writing Talia and Michele's story! These characters, as I mentioned earlier, are quite ordinaryyet their love seems somewhat extraordinary, heavenly. However, there was a point where I was so broken up from a sentence I wrote - it affected me deeply - that I needed to take a short break. But, for the most part, I felt GREAT. I was happy doing something I love.


Me:  This is one awesome story that I really enjoyed.  I really felt the chemistry between the lovers as the story went on.   Here is an excerpt where the two of them meet up.


"My Happy Ever After" Excerpt:

I arrived at Mulligan’s at about 9pm, but my nerves got the better of me.  I sat in my car for several minutes.  I could turn around, go home, and wait for our date on Friday night.  Or, I could enjoy every moment with this incredible woman and stop being a defensive, defeating passenger to what life was offering me.  I leapt.      


I walked into the little Irish pub where many officers frequented and looked around, ingesting it all.  It was a quaint little place. There were two pool tables off to the left, surrounded by some officers still dressed in their blues and other patrons in plain clothes who stood around talking and drinking.  They were enjoying what appeared to be an interesting pool game between a concerned-looking man, rubbing his beard that made him look like a character from Duck Dynasty and a woman who he was watching intently.  She was bent over the table, moving her right hand, through her left hand.  Onlookers cheered as she banked a striped ball into the corner pocket.        


To the right was a dartboard where two people appeared to be arguing loudly; others were drinking and laughing at the two in their heated discussion.   Straight ahead was a long bar with a brass railing that encompassed the whole room.  I saw Michele sitting on a stool at the end of the bar, surrounded by what looked like the two same burly men who walked her out of the precinct this afternoon.  I walked directly over to them.    She turned and saw me, and her smile melted me.  I thought my knees would give and I’d have to grab those two burly men to stay standing.  I held firm, though, and continued forward, mirroring her smile back.    

When I reached Michele, she took my hand and pulled me into her arms.   I stumbled a bit on my way to her, hitting each of the burly men like a ball in a pinball game.  She hugged me. I was dying.  

She said, I’m so glad you came.  You look amazing.”  She smelled like liquor, sweet and intoxicating.   Somehow, I backed away from her, still holding hands, our arms outstretched; I’d forgotten we weren’t alone.


We released hands and she said, “Oh, this is Johnny.” She nonchalantly pointed to the smaller of the two men, with dark brown hair and a tiny bit of stubble that surrounded and enhanced his full lips. He had an adorable cleft in his chin that I noticed right away and deep set striking blue eyes that seemed to ask you questions with a single look.


“And Harry,” she continued as she casually pointed to the other man. He was taller, more muscular than Johnny. His blond hair was thick and wavy and his stubble was much more pronounced. His jaw was chiseled, making him look sculpted and statuesque. “Johnny is my parter and Harry is his.” She gave me a double wink. 

“Ha-ha. That’s not true. I’m straight and married, “Johnny said. “To a woman.”

Michele laughed and so did I. I said hello to the men and shook their hands. They excused themselves and went in the direction of the pool tables. I sat down on the open stool next to Michele. Our legs were so close together, she reached out and touched my knees. She leaned in close to me.

I wanted to spread her legs open, rip off her clothes, and take her right there on that stool. The room started to sway. She got close to my cheek so she could talk into my ear.

“What would you like to drink?”


I turned my head slightly to answer, and our mouths were close together, I breathed out and she moaned a little. I was done.


I almost slid off the stool. I grabbed onto her, and she caught me. We looked into each other’s eyes and I wanted never to have a moment in my life where she wasn’t involved in it, not ever again.


I want to thank D.K. Linda for stopping by to chat.  For more on "My Happy Ever After", please see my 08-Aug-14 blog.  The book is available for purchase now.   This is one that you are going to enjoy and I highly recommend it.  Also check out her links for more exciting news.









Don't forget to check out D.K. Linda's blog page.  Here she has more news regarding her books and her life in general:








Until Next Time,

Lynn

Before you go take a look at my links:





Stay tuned for my Enlightened Desire book trailer.  Coming soon!


PRINTED WITH PERMISSIO
N



1 comment:

  1. Lynn, It was wonderful doing this with you. Thank you so much for your endless kindness, generosity and devotion to writers! 

    ReplyDelete