Friday, October 24, 2014

Meet Alicia Love

Good morning all!  Today I have Alicia Love in today to discuss her work, including her promotion business.  She is also the author of the book, Esther's Progeny.  For those of you who are new, I reviewed this book on 18-Sept-14.  Feel free to check it out.  Let's all give Alicia a warm welcome!




"Esther felt weak, and needed to feel strong again. She needed to turn her, and she needed to do it now."

      What is your story about?

Esther’s Progeny is about a vampire named Esther who discovers one of the last seer in existence. In her haste, she tries to turn the girl, to create the ultimate hybrid being. Unfortunately, nothing goes as planned, and she seals the girl's fate. As she spends more time with her, she begins to feel again, and decides to do everything in her power to save her.

     What or who inspired you to write Esther’s Progeny?
Honestly, I just wanted to write a paranormal romance novel and see how it went. This was the time of sparkling, emo vampires and I wanted to create something with a bit of darkness to it. I wanted to create a vampire with true anger and lust and hatred and have someone truly bring out the humanity in her, instead of the cliché stories about wimpy vampires being extra wimpy for some random girl.

 
What traits were you looking for when you were creating the main character for this story?
I really wanted her to be dark. To have no inhibitions and assume that she was omnipotent. Thinking that she was the ultimate killing machine who lived outside of the rules and therefore couldn’t possibly make a mistake or mess up.


      Did you do any types of writing while you were in school?  If so, did you receive any awards or recognition for your work?
I actually did.  I have been filling composition notebooks since I was very young, pretty much since I could write. When I was in the fourth grade, I was the only one in my grade to get a perfect score on the citywide writing test and was recognized for it. Since then, though, I mostly wrote for myself on my own time. Until I wrote my books, of course.

Was there anyone, in your life who was an inspiration for you to write.   If so, what did they do?
Honestly, and I don’t mean to sound vain, but it was me. I was growing and changing and discovering my own capabilities. I was coming out of an abusive home and starting to see value and talent in myself for the first time in my life. I think when I wrote my first book I really found my confidence and realized that I could do anything as long as I put my mind to it. Finishing my first book changed my life. It was the start of a different me. Since then I have written three books in the series, Esther’s Progeny, a short story collection, and have started my own business promoting books, Lovely Books.


Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?  Can you elaborate on what has worked for you?
I would like to thank them for taking the time to read my books. I feel incredible knowing that my name and my work are actually out there being read. It is such a crazy thing, being published, having your books selling, knowing that someone across the world is reading your book right now. It is amazing.


Do you have an interest that you are passionate about?  Can you elaborate about it?  
Besides writing, I currently own my own company promoting books for authors like me. By this, I mean authors who can’t afford traditional promotional services.
When I first wrote my book, I thought I had gotten the hard part over with and all I would have to do would be to hit publish and it would be a best seller. In truth, I had no idea how hard getting my name out there would be. I looked into other promotional services and could not come close to affording anything. I didn’t have $30 to spare, let alone $300.
I had to learn to do it all on my own. And that was when I decided to offer the same services for less.

There was a moment when I was trying to figure out how to promote my books and not selling any when I felt bad. I felt like I hadn’t accomplished anything, like I was never going to succeed. I remember thinking how incredible I was to finish my book, and there I was a few months later, thinking how writing a book didn’t actually matter at all.

No one should ever feel like they didn’t accomplish something amazing because they can’t afford to promote their books.

I wanted to offer everyone a fair shot. That is why I started Lovely Books. So no one would forget the work and dedication they put into writing because their pockets aren’t full.
I offer promotional services for authors all for under $30. I promote all kinds of books and all kinds of authors. Writing a book is an incredible accomplishment and nothing should get in the way of that. Reviews, length, cover design, controversial content, location, I don’t believe any of these things should take away from the fact that you wrote a frickin’ book, and that is frickin’ awesome.


     What was the last movie that you saw?  How was it for you?  Would you recommend it, why or why not?

The last movie I watched was X-Men: Days of Future Past. My main series, The Seven Uniters, is science fiction, and I am a total science fiction nut. I love everything scifi and fantasy. Star Wars, Star Trek, DC and Marvel, you name it, I am all about it. Oh, and of course, Doctor Who. I really enjoyed X-Men, but I don’t think they could go wrong. Oh, right, I guess they can. Have you seen Iron Man 3? What the heck was up with that.
What has been your favorite part of being an author?  The least fave?
My favourite part about being an author, honestly, is having my paperbacks. I know it is simple, but they are left on the shelf most of the time, but sometimes I go over and take one and just ogle at it. Seeing my name on a print book is just...there is nothing like it in the world. Of course, I haven’t had my books in stores or on the big screen, so I am sure there is something better, but there is just something about holding my books...
As for my least favorite, well, besides formatting my books for Kindle and Createspace, I dislike how slow it is all going. When I wrote my first book, I really believed I could take off, but I haven’t quite reached that tipping point yet. I thought I could be the next Amanda Hocking, because that was all the hype when I wrote my first book.

     Where would you go for your dream vacation?  Would you ever use that location as the main location in a future story?
I actually did! My dream vacation is to Maldives, where Katie and Esther go in Esther’s Progeny.


     What is in the works next for you?  If you can’t share, we totally understand and respect this.
Well, right now I am working on the fourth book in my series. It is set to be out in January, and after that, I am going to write the second book in Esther’s Progeny.

Now it is time for the excerpt:
“The Seer was a bloodline, and she might have siblings that were also Seer. Esther needed to know, thoughts of a Seer-Vampire cross species army flitting through her head. She would be invincible.
She grinned wickedly, licking her lips at the thought. She looked up again, wondering when the Seer would awaken. She strained her ears for sound, only to be once again greeted by the blood pumping rhythmically through the girl’s veins.
Her hunger became almost overwhelming, and she realized that she needed to feed before confronting this girl. She couldn’t create a cross species Vampire if the Seer was dead, after all.
She stood, leaving the living room and heading down into the cellar. She opened the door slowly, revealing the naked woman sitting, shackled, inside. The woman screeched, backing into the corner as the door opened.
Esther came in, leaving the door open, and unshackled the woman from the wall. She picked up the woman with ease, looking into her eyes.
“Calm down, I am your friend, your lover, and you want me to drink from you,” she said smoothly, her voice like silk as she Glamoured the woman.

The woman instantly relaxed, smiling at Esther and leaning in to kiss her.”
*****

From someone who has read this incredible story, I can say that I'm excited for book two. I'm curious to see what is next for Esther.  Alicia, you will keep us in the loop.  LOL. 

If you haven't read my review for this story, please do so as I really enjoyed the story and at times couldn't put it down.  This was one of the first vampire stories I read.  The story literally reached out to me. 

I want to thank each and everyone of you for stopping by and for Alicia for sharing with us.  It has been a pleasure.  But don't go yet.  Be sure to check out Alicia's links, including  the ones for Lovely Books Productions.





Lovely Books Tumblr Page



Lastly, be sure to check out Alicia's other books:



  

Until Next Time,

Lynn

Before you go take a look at my links:





PRINTED WITH PERMISSION

No comments:

Post a Comment