Sunday, January 25, 2015

Meet author Shiralyn J. Lee


Hello and happy Sunday to you all.  Today I am featuring the author Shiralyn J. Lee.  For those of you who don’t know Shiralyn, she is the author of "The Dark Cully’s Mistress."  Today she will be discussing her latest work, "Stop! In the Name of Love."  Also I reviewed "Stop! In the Name of Love" on my 3-Jan-15 blog.


Let’s all give Shiralyn a big warm welcome.








What is your story about?

'Stop! In The Name Of Love' is a sweet coming of age romance set in London during the 60s. Cheryl Carter is about to experience her first taste of true love when Carry Ann Portman casually enters her life.
Living with her parents in their council flat, Cheryl is determined to better her life now that she has seen how Carry Ann lives in her upmarket pad.

Her best friend Jeannie, who is unmarried, has found out that she’s pregnant and Jimmy Potter who fancies his chances of having a bit of hanky panky with Cheryl, takes a few knock backs before he gets the hint.
 This is a fun light hearted story that is established in London during the 60’s and uses dialogue true to the era. 

What or who inspired you to write “Stop in the Name of Love”?
      I have always loved the 60s era. In this case, music was my inspiration. I love Lulu, Cilla Black, Diana Ross. The white GoGo boots, Mary Quant fashions. To me, the 60s was the turning point in fashion, music, but most important, it set the trend for women rights in the work place, the home and socially.  

 Can you share a little bit about what 1960’s London was like for a gay woman who coming of age? 
It definitely wasn’t easy for anyone different from the norm. If you weren’t straight, you faced the consequencies. It was a very sad state of affairs where anyone regardless of their age, were too scared to be open about their sexuality. But my story steers away from the depressive side and evokes quirkiness.   

"Stop! In the Name of Love" talks about different views of alternative lifestyles.  Can you describe what your main character was feeling in regards to this?
Cheryl Carter knew that she was different from the sheer fact that she had no interest in dating boys. She wasn’t sure why but it didn’t take her long to figure out her reasons when she by sheer chance meets Carry Ann Portman.

What was the deciding factor for you book title?  Did it just come to you or did you try different ones?
"Stop! In The Name Of Love" was my first choice for this title.  It is a song that I favour from the era and I feel that it fits in well with the story line. 

What traits were you looking for when you were creating the main character for this story?
The Cockney Slang is by far the dominant trait in not only Cheryl’s character but her supporting characters too. The language of not only the area, but also the 60s which is far different from what it is now and it was extremely important to get it right. Once I got the slang words that I needed, the characters seemed to fall into place.

Did you do any types of writing while you were in school.  If so, did you receive any awards or recognition for your work?
I was always a good student in my English and History classes. These two topics alone, I had great grades but we are talking over thirty years ago.  

Was there anyone, in your life who was an inspiration for you to write?   If so, what did they do?
I tried my hand at writing back in the early 80s and sent a synopsis off to a publishing house. I never heard back and being that I was still in my teens at the time, I took it as a sign that I should choose a different path. Back then, there was no internet easily available to the everyday person, so research and information were very limited.
It wasn’t until I met my now wife Janice, that I began to fully understand the gift of story telling. She encouraged me to do it and still continues to this very day.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?  Can you elaborate on what has worked for you?
I am a very humble person, I love life, people and learning new things. When I am passionate about a certain subject, I find that the writing comes to me easily. I love sharing my stories and some are romantic where others are hard-core BDSM. Some stories are historical and some Contemporary. I like to keep my writing as fresh as I can.  

What do you like to do when you are not writing?
Most of the time I am at my full time job, where I work in a restaurant. At home, I bake cakes and pies, watch movies and TV shows and enjoy snuggling up to my wife.

 
What has been your favorite part of being an author?  The least fave?
The best part—to see my story published, to know that someone is reading it.
The least fave—going through edits. Writing is a passion but editing is a MUST!!
I agree.  Editing takes time, but it is worth it in the end.

 
What was the last movie you went to?   Would you recommend it?
The last movie Into the Storm. Absolutely hated it. The acting was corny, the story turned out to be less eventful than it was portrayed on the adds. I was disappointed as it shows huge planes in an airport being lifted by the tornados but the story is based in a very small town. Giant airport—small town??  

Where would you go for your dream vacation?  Would you ever use that location as the main location in a future story?
My dream vacation is San Francisco and one day I will go there. I feel that it is a City filled with inspiration. I have already touched on the location in my FBI series, Paige Bleu Series.  

What is in the works next for you?  If you can’t share, I totally understand and respect this. 
I have a few WIPs at the moment but they are still waiting to be continued as I am going back over my already published novels and shorts and re-editing where I feel they need to be updated. Also I am working on re-newing book covers for them which again, is bringing them into modernization.

I really enjoyed this book and loved the language.  The main character kept my heart beating and the some of the things she says got me rolling in laughter.  I have included an excerpt of this fine story. 

 “You ain’t getting’ anywhere near my kickers, Jimmy Potter, ain’t no bloke going down there,” she expressed firmly.
“No bloke, Cheryl?” Jeannie asked. “That’ll be hard when ya get married, won’t it?”
“I ain’t bleedin’ getting married. What d’ya take me for?”
Carry Ann remained quiet on the subject whilst the others ridiculed their friend over wanting to remain a virgin.
“I’m not sayin’ that I wanna die a virgin, I just don’t wanna do it with a big fat hairy chested bloke, is that too hard for you all to understand?”
“Well there’s nothing big or fat or even hairy about me,” Jimmy joked.
The girls giggled.

 
I want to thank Shiralyn for stopping by to chat today.  This book is heartwarming and one that will be remembered.  Thank you Shiralyn for creating such a lovable character.  This story was writing for all to enjoy.  According to Shiralyn, it is “fun, quirky, comical, and dramatic." 


Be sure to check out Shiralyn’s links.
Shiralyn's Twitter page

Shiralyn's Facebook page
 


Until Next Time,

Lynn

Before you go take a look at my links:





Printed With Permission

No comments:

Post a Comment