Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Meet Author Rachel Windsor

Hello and a lovely afternoon to you!  I hope you all have had a wonderful week.  Today I am featuring author Rachel Windsor, author of  "Except for That" and "Mail Order Bride."  She will be discussing about her life as well as her work.  For those of you who don't know Rachel,  recently she was featured on the Lesbian Book Reader's Club BBQ on facebook.  I have more about her "grilling" experience below.  If you love lesfic, you're going to love her!   Read on! 






“And the biggest ground rule,” she said with a rueful smile. “Don’t fall in love.”









What is your story, “Except For That” about?

“EXCEPT FOR THAT” is a novella that looks at a serious, but common issue among lesbians—mismatched libidos between partners. Beth and Maureen (“Mo”) are in a committed relationship but they have reached what may be the breaking point after years of fighting about their sex life, or lack thereof. When Mo suggests a dramatic “solution” to their issue, the solution may just end up being the biggest problem they have ever faced.

   


What traits were you looking for when you were creating the main characters in your story?

Honesty, relatability and genuineness. I would have to say that these are traits I like to see in just about any of my main characters, no matter which book.


  
Did you do any types of writing while you were in school?  If so, did you receive any awards or recognition for your work?
I did creative writing through high school but didn’t really pick it up again in earnest until my late 20’s. My college and law school writing was limited to academic work—not nearly as much fun as lesfic!

 

Was there anyone, in your life who was an inspiration for you to write?   If so what did they do?
I can’t really point to any one person as an inspiration. For me, I think I just feel as though I have to write. I’m a big reader, as most writers tend to be, and my writing comes from there.

 
Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?  Can you elaborate on what has worked for you?
To me readers, I would like to say an honest “thank you.” Thank you for taking a chance on a completely unknown author and giving my work a whirl. It is such a wonderful feeling to know that your words have been heard and made someone laugh or cry or maybe just provide a nice escape from the real world for a bit. It is a true privilege.
 
I also really appreciate when readers take the time to leave a review or send an email or FaceBook message. I love connecting and hearing what people think of my work. I am having a blast! 


 

What do you like to do when you are not writing?
My favorite thing in the world is spending time with my family. My wife and I were married last summer on the first anniversary of the Windsor decision (the U.S. Supreme Court case that partially struck down DOMA) on the steps of the United States Supreme Court. It was amazing! We have two awesome kids, 15 and nearly 12, who keep us very busy with their active lives.

We tend to be homebodies—lots of time hanging out with the kids, talking, shooting hoops in the driveway, cooking (her), enjoying the bounty of good cooking (me), champagne on the deck, planning our next travel adventure, that kind of thing. I also read a ton, or at least as much as time allows—always have, always will.

 
 

What was the last book that you read?  Would you recommend it?
Ah, what a perfect segue from the previous question! I am currently reading Erik Larson’s “DEAD WAKE,” along with most of American it seems, and enjoying it very much. I tend to read a lot of history and biographies. I also love spy novels, mysteries, thrillers and of course, lesfic. Other recent reads that have been around my Kindle carousel include "ZERO VISIBILITY" by Georgia Beers, "THE ART FORGER" by B.A. Shapiro, “STILL ALICE” by Lisa Genova and “BEFORE I SLEEP” by S.J. WATSON. Next up for me is Sandra Moran’s “ALL WE LACK.”

 
And yes, I would certainly recommend all of the books named in the foregoing. Oh geez, that sounded so lawyer-y.

 
 

Many others share your love of travelling.  Where was the last place you visited?  How was the experience for you?
The last place I visited was San Diego for a work conference. Unfortunately I was traveling alone for that one. Still, it was a great trip. What a beautiful city! The weather, no surprise, was sublime. The ocean was a welcome break from February in Ohio and yes, I walked on the beach with my pale, pasty legs and bare feet! In between conference sessions, I enjoyed reading at a beachfront cafĂ© with a glass of wine each afternoon. My reading pace was much slower than usual as I found myself starting at the ocean often. I felt like I had to “save up” ocean views for when I went home!
  
What has been your favorite part of being an author?  The least fave?
The first part of this question is EASY. My favorite part has been be able to share my work and connect with readers. What a pleasure it has been. I say in my author bio, maybe only half-jokingly, that I’m a “boring attorney.” I have a great career in the law but can’t really say it is my passion. Writing is my passion and I am so happy to be able to make it part of my life.
It is hard to say that there is a least favorite part, but if I had to pick one it would be the guilt I feel about the time writing takes away from my family. My wife and kids are super supportive when I hole up in my library to write so that helps but still, it can be hard to make time for everything.
 


Can you give us a snapshot about the Lesbian Book Reader’s Club BBQ on Facebook over the weekend of March 7-8? 

I was fortunate enough to be "GRILLED" by the Lesbian Book Readers Club (here’s the link, if you haven’t checked this site out, please do! https://www.facebook.com/groups/Dawn.Carter.Author/) on the weekend of March 7-8. For those of you who may not have heard about these events, every other weekend, the ladies at the site put a lesfic author on the grill and, with the help of readers, poke, prod and flip the lucky victim—er, author, with questions for four sessions over the course of the weekend. I have participated as both a reader and now a BBQ-ee and both experiences rock!

When my turn to be grilled arrived, I was afraid I would be hearing Facebook crickets chirping, would anyone "show up" on Facebook to ask questions? I was pleasantly surprised to get lots of awesome questions, make some new friends, have my head plump up after hearing from some very generous readers who have enjoyed my work and have an all-around amazing time! It was so cool connecting with readers in such a genuine and relaxed format. No one even minded my Charlize Theron obsession or my corny book giveaway contests!  All in all, I had a blast.
 
 
 
 
Here are a few questions from the "Grilling:"
 
Ok Rachel Windsor, I have an odd question...but then i am odd LOL... Since i am pretty close to you, i need to ask...Are you a fan of Kings Island? Lol...and have you ever thought of it as being a backdrop to any of your works...You know, sex~ or maybe even a cute stolen kiss~ and thrill rides might be a great adventure haha wink emoticon
 
A: Valerie, I am going to sound like such a wuss, but I can't bear rollercoasters. I did love them as a kid (although we went to Cedar Point-I grew up in northern Ohio) but not now! But I like the idea of setting a story in a theme park. Lots of potential for fun! I would have to go to King's Island for some research of course but no way would I get on the Beast, lol!

Rachel, which one of your books took the longest to write and why? Which one of them is your favorite?
 
A: Victoria, I'd have to say that "WEST POINT WOMEN IN LOVE" probably took the longest because I got caught up in the research. I found the topic so interesting that I did way more research than I acutally used! As far as my favorite... probably my most recent, "EXCEPT FOR THAT."  I had just written three romantic comedies in a row and "EXCEPT FOR THAT" was not a comedy at all so it took me out of my comfort zone. I was proud of the story and would say it's my favorite. So far, of course!

 
For more regarding this interview, please go to this link:

Rachel Windsor Grilling
I want to thank author Dawn Carter for providing this info. 

Let’s say you get a call from a producer who wants to make one of your books into a move.  Who would you like to cast for the main and supporting roles of your characters?
I would love to see “MAIL ORDER BRIDE” made into a movie. In fact, I originally wrote it as a screenplay!
Casting, hmm…how fun would that be? Let’s see….
 
Liz:                Laura Prepon
Svetlana:       Eva Mendez
Ann:               Allison Williams
Elle:               Adele
Of course, when they make this movie they are going to need me on set at all times. ALL TIMES. ;)
  
Out of all of your books, do you consider one to be your “baby” and why?
I go back and forth on this one. I am really proud of "EXCEPT FOR THAT." It deals with a very sensitive subject and I knew some readers would not be happy with the “alternative” that Beth and Mo chose to explore. I had just written three romantic comedies in a row so the switch in tone was fairly dramatic for me and for my readers who had come to expect a certain “type” of book.
On the complete opposite side of the spectrum, I really love “MAIL ORDER BRIDE.” When I wrote that one, I even made myself laugh during some parts. I could really see the characters and had a ton of fun writing some of that dialogue.
I think in some respects, they are all my “babies” in one sense or another. I hope that continues to be the case!
 
What is in the works next for you?  If you can’t share, I totally understand and respect this.
I have two in the works currently and don’t mind at all sharing. The first is another installment in my Lesbian Lovers throughout Time series, called “WORLD WAR II WOMEN IN LOVE.”  As the name suggests, this one revolves around two women on the home front during World War II, dealing with the struggles of wartime America and exploring new feelings.
The second is a legal thriller called “THE 13TH JUROR.” I don’t want to give too much away about that one, other than to say I am super excited about it and it is another that I originally wrote as a screenplay.

Me:  This sounds really interesting .  You have our curiosity regarding “The 13th Juror.”  We will be looking forward to an excerpt soon.



In the meanwhile, here is an excerpt from  “Except for That:”

Mo wiped her mouth with a napkin, cleared her throat and took a deep breath. “Let’s talk about this before we fight about it. For once.”
Beth resisted the urge to play dumb. She knew exactly what Mo was talking about. So this was what the special dinner was about. She inhaled. “Okay.”
“I don’t want to be the one who makes you cry. I can’t bear that.”
Mo’s eyes were wet with emotion. Beth hadn’t been sure if Mo had heard her make the statement the night before.  Apparently it had made an impact. Beth waited, sensing that Mo had more to say, and found herself digging her fingernails into her palms, nervous. Please don’t say it’s over, she prayed silently.
Mo took a large drink of wine. “I’ve given this a lot of thought. A lot of thought. I think there’s only one solution.”

 
This book is on my reading list and I am looking forward to reading it.   For more about Rachel, check out her links:


Rachel's web site

Rachel's Amazon Author page

Rachel's Facebook page





 
 

 

Until Next Time,



Lynn


 

Before you go take a look at my links:








#enlighteneddesire  Join in the conversation.


Stay tuned for my Enlightened Desire book trailer.  Coming soon!

 
Printed With Permission.