Friday, April 10, 2015

Meet author Valerie Lee and her novel, "Stolen Laces."


Hello everyone and a warm welcome to you.  I hope you all enjoyed your Easter as much as I did.  Today I have lesfic author, Valerie Lee here to discuss her smash hit novel, “Stolen Laces.”  This is a real beauty and one that you will appreciate.

 

 


           I learned to hold back words of anger and pain, because to hurt her, even unintentionally… cut deeper than a thousand of my own flesh wounds.”

 

What is “Stolen Laces” about?
“Stolen Laces” was a novel inspired by my relationship with my longtime girlfriend, I wanted to write “our story” but put a fictionalized sexy twist on it.

It’s based on someone who has commitment issues (Me), but finds that the love she feels for her girlfriend is powerful enough, that she cannot deny it any longer, and is willing to give up life as she knows it, to make a life together. And the struggles they face together to make that happen.

 
 

What or who inspired you to write “Stolen Laces?”
My girlfriend inspired me to write the book. I have written so much in the past, and she convinced me that I should finally take a chance, and put something out there for the world to see as well. She has been a huge form of support for me, and in all honesty there is not much I wouldn’t do if she asked.

 
 

What was the deciding factor for your book title?  Did it just come to you or did you try different ones?
It came to me while writing one of my favorite chapters of the book, it was part of one of the most touching scenes, and it seems to explain perfectly the message I was trying to convey. That no matter how broken in those “running shoes “are, once the laces are stolen, you will not get too far without them. I just got to that particular scene in the book, and it popped out at me, and seemed to make perfect sense.

  

What traits were you looking for when you were creating the main character in this story?
This story was so much different than any I had written before, because instead of creating characters in my mind and putting them to paper. I used the people around me, and my own relationship to complete the story. I knew I wanted to show their strengths as well as their weaknesses, and it is much harder to display those things, when you are also sharing your own as well. I also wanted to create enough fictionalized characters that the story would come to life with diversity as well.

 
Did you do any types of writing while you were in school?  If so, did you receive any awards or recognition for your work?
     I did a lot of writing in school, but none of it for the public eye. I have to admit, I am a bit shy when it comes to sharing my work.

 

Was there anyone, in your life who was an inspiration for you to write?   If so, what did they do?
My father was probably the largest inspiration for me to write. From the time I was in grade school and beyond, he was buying me notebooks and binders for me to place my work. And no matter how corny or truly bad some of it was, he would always tell me that if it was in my heart, then it was worthy to be put down on paper. My father was this huge, masculine man with very few weaknesses, but secretly he could write the most beautiful love poems. I loved reading them, and sharing with him, the secret of his hidden passion of writing.

 
Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?  Can you elaborate on what has worked for you?
I would love to tell my readers, that every single one of them is important to me. Without the readers, our stories would go unheard. I would also like to say that no matter how thrilled I am to hear that someone loved my book. I also know that some may not. I have a bad habit with the “F” bomb, most of my sex scenes are explicit, and if I think something is important to the storyline, I throw caution to the wind and put it in there. I want everything I put out there for the public, to also include a little piece of myself, and who I am as an author. There are so many authors out there and many of them afraid to write certain things, because they want to appeal to the masses. I guess if that was my bread and butter, it might be my opinion as well. But I write because I love it, and I share my work with the public because I want to share that kind of passion to the world. Of course I cross my fingers, and hope everyone comes away from something I write, with the meaning behind it. But even just a handful of people put my work down and have a smile on their face, if I can relate to them, or make them feel better, than I feel like I have succeeded.

 

What hobbies do you enjoy?
I love writing of course, and reading...I read a wide assortment of books, and usually have one on hand at any given time. I am also a knitter...Yes i said it...let the cat out of the bag on that one. I have totes and totes of crafts that someday i will get to. I also love just lounging around the house, playing YouTube, way too loud and then texting lyrics to my dearest friends, just to get some silly song in their heads for the remainder of the day. (Does being irritating count as a hobby?)

  

What has been your favorite part of being an author?  The least fave?
My favourite part is that moment when you hit the button and your book goes live. Those butterfly’s in your stomach, when people send you messages saying they loved your work, or better yet a wonderful review.

 My least fave, would have to be that moment when you check your review page and someone has left that terrible review that we all dread. But it doesn’t affect me now as much as it did. I always try to find a way to take away something I can learn from the criticism, especially if it is something I can work on to improve my writing. And let go of some of the things that are out of my control.

 
When “Stolen Laces” is made into a movie, who would you like to see in the cast?
Oh wow.... I would have to say Jennifer Aniston would make a fantastic Leah, She is just the perfect older woman, who is super hot and sexy and yet so down to earth that everyone can’t help but fall in love with her, and Megan Fox as Nikki.( That statement is a little bias, since Nikki is aka Val...But, who wouldn’t want to be Megan Fox right?)

 
How do handle publicity, both good and bad?
I would have to say, that I still find it awkward that I have so many people who have read, and loved my work. I remember sitting in front of my computer, signing the first autographed copies of my book, and feeling an overwhelming sense of pride and accomplishment, as well as just feeling darn cheesy, that someone really wanted me to sign something. I can’t help but be thrilled when someone says they are a FAN. I don’t think that feeling will ever go away, or that I won’t be super excited each time I hear things like that.
On the other hand, it never feels good when people bash your work. It is tough for someone to basically put their heart on their sleeve, and then get torn down. Especially by those who haven’t taken enough time to even read the meat of the book itself, I try very hard not to let it get under my skin. If I want to put out work that I know not everyone will be on board with. Then I guess I need to also be able to take on the critics as well.

 
What is the weirdest experience you had? 
I was just talking about this the other day, and there are so many things I could share. I am a true klutz, and often find myself in embarrassing situations…Like falling down an entire staircase on my first day of work before even getting my things put away, and ending up such a scraped up mess I was sent back home, and teased about it for ages.

 

Where would you go for your dream vacation?  Would you ever use that location as the main location in a future story?
No doubt about it…It would be Las Vegas. I am one of those gals’s who loves her excitement, flashing lights and the sound of falling coins.

And who wouldn’t want to write about such a vacation? Not everything done in Vegas has to stay there does it?
 

What is in the works next for you?  If you can’t share, I totally understand and respect this.
I have a few works in progress at the moment, one is a Prequel to “Stolen Laces” since I have gotten a lot of questions from my readers about what led up to the story, and want to read more about Nikki and Leah.
Also I am working on a Fantasy Fiction Novel that has been in the works for awhile now.
I would also love to work on something just funny and upbeat, with a bit of steamy romance thrown in to spice things up a bit.
So who knows which will hit the market first, but I will assure you that it will not be boring. ;)
I'm feeling excitement.   LOL!  The fantasy fiction novel in fact sounds really good and something that I'd like.  Sometime I'll share a bit about mine (also in WIP form).

This all sounds interesting.  Here is an excerpt from “Stolen Laces:”

          
“The cool afternoon breeze cascaded over my exposed skin, making me shiver and lean further into the embrace, for the warmth and comfort it provided.

There was a part of me that was so fueled by desire, I longed to be naked beneath her, letting the heat radiating from her skin replace the thin layers of clothing, the mere touch of her skin, held enough fire, to almost consume my rational thought pattern.

And there was another part of me that was unable to stop shivering, as the first drops of rain drizzled across my forehead, making me curse a little in between kisses.

Both of us knowing a storm was brewing, as the rain fell faster and chilled our skin, soaking through our clothes, and yet neither of us knowing which one would win out first.

The Storm within us which longed for the unspoken promise of release—Or the Storm that darkened the sky, which now fell upon us, a full chilling rain fall, that left us both shivering, as we clung against one another.”

  

Thank you so much for you interview and teaser.  “Stolen Laces” is available on Amazon.  In addition, Valerie has provided us with a few reviews about “Stolen Laces.”


 
5.0 out of 5 stars Most entertaining book of this genre!!!!, March 2, 2015

By 


This review is from: Stolen Laces (Kindle Edition)

Simply love it! The author shared her feelings - good and/or worse - with the readers. She showed in a very heartful and of course passionate manor the love the two girls shared with each other. I found it very touching how the author described her own feelings for this girl and the true bond of love. She let us participate in her doubts, her good and bad times. She described her feelings in a way that catched me from the very first start. I really would love to read/hear more of her. I've got really entertained and so to speak ... you can call me a FAN.

 

 And now for the BEST part!  Valerie's "Stolen Laces" book trailer!  Come take a look:
 
 
 
 
 
 For more on Valerie, check out her links:
 
Valerie's Author Facebook page




Until Next Time,


Lynn




Before you go take a look at my links:




Lynn Lawler's Twitter

Lynn Lawler's Website

 
#enlighteneddesire  Join in the conversation.


Stay tuned for my Enlightened Desire book trailer.  Coming soon!

 
Printed With Permission.